White Day 2: Swan Song (Hangul: 화이트데이 2: 스완송 ; RR: hwaiteudei: seuwansong) formerly known as The School 2: Swan Song[note 1][note 2] in overseas, is an upcoming first person survival horror video game and is the sequel to The School: White Day.
It serves as a prequel to "White Day" in terms of plot and is the second main installment in the White Day / The School series and the third title in the franchise. It is currently under development exclusively for PlayStation 4 (PSVR) by ROI Games on the Unreal Engine 4 and is targeted for a 2018 Release date in Korea.
Chronologically, the game is a "prequel" set six years prior to the first game. The story reveals the truth behind the suicide cases which were briefly mentioned in the first game.
At Yeondu High School where a series of suicide busts are taking place, a closing ceremony takes place. Students hide in the school at night where no one can go in. You have to find a way to survive with the upcoming death announcement. Only the voice of the door before death is the only clue to the escape. Those who are hidden between them will not be able to open the door easily.[excerpt 1]
6 Students, a male senior student and 5 female students, enter the school in the middle of the night to uncover the secret related to the death and suicide of several students and friends and a mysterious song.
This section requires expansion. You can help The School: White Day Wiki by expanding it.
5 characters were revealed including a main heroine, though the identity of the protagonist wasn't revealed.
- Song Jin-woo: The Protagonist
- Lee Yoo-ri (이유리): The main heroine, she is a student of Yeondu High School at the time of the events.
- Kang Seo-Yeon (강서연) :
- Bak So-eun (박소은) : Glasses Girl.
- Yun Si-a (윤시아) :
- Han Se-gyeong (한세경) :
Because the game is set 6 years before the first game, thus taking place in 1995, Yeondu High School will be different:
- There won't be a New Building as it wasn't built yet.
- The basement and 4th floor of the Main Building will be accessible (they were locked in 2001 / in the first game).
It's been revealed that the game will follow its predecessor in terms of gameplay but with major changes to the UI (user interface) designed for VR and the removal of the running ability. Both of these features have been adapted to reduce chances of suffering from a simulation sickness while playing the game.
When it was announced at 2016 G-Star, it was introduced as 'a casual game consisting of several short stages'. However, The developers changed their minds by playing a VR version of a recently released horror game in overseas and Changed the scenario style like a general package game.
Originally announced in 2015 and showcased in teaser as "White Day PSVR" running on the PlayStation 4 (PSVR), showing the actual remake running with PSVR Capability, the teaser shows the janitor following Lee Hui-min as Seol Ji-hyun is grabbed by Hui-min and both hiding in the registration room, eventually she turns into the Spider Ghost where the teaser ends.
In May 10, 2016, White Day: Swan Song was officially revealed in Sony Computer Entertainment Korea's PlayStation Developer Conference 2016, where a teaser trailer was shown along with information disclosed of the characters in the game, the main heroine and features of the game system.
Developers said that it would be difficult to fit existing scenarios (White Day Remake) into VR play, So they changed scenarios.
It's been revealed that the UI would be adapted for VR and the running feature was disabled/removed to prevent virtual reality sickness. 5 characters were revealed including a main heroine, though the identity of the protagonist wasn't revealed, assumed to be a male protagonist making up a total of 6 main characters. Korean Photographer Rotta was also revealed to be on the development team and he will photograph "real life" female models for them to make the female characters.
In July 28, 2016, the game's English title ( The School: Swan Song ) was announced in PS VR Asia Conference 2016. It was given a tentative release date of 2016 Q4.
The first playable tech demo of the game was exhibited in Ani-Com & Games (ACG) Hong Kong 2016.
In November 17, 2016, The Demo version of The School: Swan Song was exhibited in G-Star 2016 (Video game trade show in Korea) and New information was announced. The game was revealed to be running on the Unreal Engine 4 (unlike it's predecessor which ran on the Unity Engine) and a new place was shown to be explorable in Yeondu High School which are pretty much the locked basement and outside the building in the previous game and a new game-play feature was revealed. It was also given a new release date of 2017.
The game was later renamed to "White Day 2: Swan Song" internationally and in Korea, ditching the localized title "The School" in favor of the original name, and flipping the swan to appear as number "2" - as it was in the old localized title.
- In the conceptual teaser trailer revealed at G-Star 2015 Korea event, the running feature was still present and the teaser demo was merely based on the remake.
- This is the first sequel to White Day / The School, the second major release being a remake of the first game.
- ROI Games openly stated that "White Day did not meet overseas sales expectations. So we prepared to release it on Steam" and currently, "Swan Song" is expected to be released in Korea and any release in other countries aren't known. However, in ACGHK 2016 they announced the western title of the game: "The School: Swan Song" and had a VR demo for people to play, no actual footage was released to the public. This could be possibly due to the demand for the game to release quickly by many people on Steam.
- Though initially overseas release was excluded from ROI's targeted audience as revealed in an interview, it is likely they changed their mind since the overseas/western title was revealed.
- This is the third time in a row in the White Day/The School franchise that a new engine is used. First being Wang Real, then Unity, then Unreal Engine 4.
- In the English/Global logo "The School: Swan Song" the Swan in the back is shaped and mirrored to look like number "2" which may be intentional.
- In August 2017, as the official korean site for White Day: Swan Song went up, the new Korean variation logo (White Day 2: Swan Song) was up this time with the swan mirrored and placed after "White Day" to look like number "2" as opposed to the older version of the logo.
- ↑ Korean Source:화이트데이, 차기작 스완송 아닌 '화이트데이 2'. Ruliweb (August 21, 2017). “White Day Sequel name, changed from 'White Day:Swan song' to 'White Day 2:Swan song' ”
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Korean Source:(뉴스) 화이트데이와 함께 돌아온 '손노리', 이원술 대표를 만나다. Inven (August 21, 2017). “[News] 'Sonnori' returned with White Day' meet the CEO Lee Won-sool”
- ↑ White Day 2: Swan Song announced for PS4. Gematsu (August 20, 2017 EDT).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 화이트데이 VR ‘Swan Song’, 정보 공개! (May 10, 2016). “White Day VR 'Swan Song' information disclosed!”
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 New Details on PlayStation VR Exclusive White Day Revealed. VRfocus. “A new name, amongst other things.”
- ↑ Whiteday PlayStation VR Teaser Official
- ↑ Souppouris, Aaron (November 4, 2015). Cult horror game 'White Day' is coming to PSVR. Engadget. Retrieved on 5 December 2015.
- ↑ Romano, Sal (November 3, 2015). Romantic horror adventure game White Day announced for PlayStation VR. Gematsu. Retrieved on 5 December 2015.
- ↑ Gunship Battle 2 VR, Hellgate VR, and White Day: Swan Song announced for PlayStation VR. Gematsu. “New VR games from Korea.”
- ↑ PlayStation VR Asia Conference JULY 2016
- ↑ (White Day: Swan Song) First Demo play and Hong Kong VR Conference News. White Day Official Facebook page.
- ↑ White Day 2: Swan Song announced for PS4. Gematsu. “2016-announced title re-revealed as numbered sequel.”
- ↑ White Day Sequel Re-Emerges As White Day 2: Swan Song. PlayStation Lifestyle.
- ↑ The previously English titled ( The School: Swan Song ) was introduced in the PS VR Asia Conference on July 28th.
- ↑ The swan song is a metaphorical phrase for a final gesture, effort, or performance given just before death or retirement.
- ↑ [Synopsis] 연쇄자살소동이벌어진연두고등학교에휴교령이내려진다.아무도출입할수없는밤의학교에학생들이몰래숨어든다.당신은다가오는죽음의예고에맞서그녀들과살아남을방법을찾아야한다. 죽음이찾아오기전의문의노랫소리만이탈출을위한유일한단서가된다.노래의비밀을풀고무사히학교를빠져나가야한다.하지만…그녀들사이에숨은이는쉽게문을열어줄생각이없다…화이트데이 : 스완송 (August 21, 2017).